Thursday, November 19, 2009

SHIP PHOTOGRAPHS

I have been photographing ships since 1970 although my first good quality camera was obtained only in 1975. Since then I have been able to make about half a million photographs of ships, and ships have always been the first reason behind my drive into serious photography. This because first of all I have always been a shipping enthusiast. It all started with a colection of post cards of ships, later I also added brochures and all informative items including books. Photography allowed me a new dimension to my shipping interests and so I have been photographing all kinds of ships in many different corners of the world, always based in Lisbon.
Those photographs are some of my favourites. They were taken on 13 November 1977 and the lady pictured was the AUSTRALIS on her final call in Lisbon, while on her last northbound voyage for Chandris Lines.
An old ship image registered 32 years ago should be enough to make me feel old, but it looks to me as if I have just returned from the river and the trip on the tug ÁTOMO that I used on that 13 November 1977 to photograph the AUSTRALIS. Shots were taken in B&W film and Kodachrome 25 slides. Even this looks odd now, for over the last four years I have mainly used digital photography...
Further AUSTRALIS pictures on13 November 1977 here...
Texto e imagens /Text and images copyright L.M.Correia. For other posts and images, check our archive at the right column of the main page. Click on the photos to see them enlarged. Thanks for your visit and comments. Luís Miguel Correia

No comments: